Radek, what jobs can you get with a Criminal Justice Degree? I’m wondering, what can I do with a Criminal Justice Degree?
Unfortunately, there is no shortage of crime in the world, so there is a demand for skilled and knowledgeable criminal justice degree holders. Many of these graduates go into law enforcement. Most work for the government (municipal, county, state, or federal), some work for private firms or companies, and some work for themselves. There will be more jobs in urban areas than in rural ones.
Criminal justice graduates often go to work for government agencies, such as: FBI; U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA); U.S. Marshals; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security; Department of Homeland Security; U.S. Border Patrol; U.S. Secret Service; National Park Service; Forest Service; Bureau of Indian Affairs Office of Law Enforcement; and others.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Employment of probation officers and correctional treatment specialists is expected to grow faster than average through 2018. Job opportunities are expected to be excellent.
- Employment of police officers and detectives is expected to grow 10% through 2018, about as fast as other occupations. Job opportunities in most local police departments will be good for qualified individuals.
- Employment of private investigators is expected to grow at a much faster than average rate (22% through 2018). However, keen competition is expected for jobs.
I majored in Criminal Justice and now I have a great career. I chose Criminal Justice for job security. There has always and will always be crime in our society, so there will always be a need for police officers and others working in other branches of criminal justice to keep order and to deal with offenders. ~ Brandon O.
Careers you can get with a degree in criminal justice include:
- Border Patrol Agent
- Correctional Treatment Specialist
- Customs Inspector
- DEA Agent
- Deputy Sheriff
- FBI Agent (will require work experience and additional training)
- Fish and Game Warden
- Immigration Inspector
- Legal Assistant
- Park Ranger
- Parole Officer
- Police Officer
- Private Investigator (will require additional licensing)
- Probation Officer / Community Supervision Officer
- Security Officer